This 2-day class teaches you everything you need to know to ensure you never watch an opportunity to fill your tag walk by just out of range. With a heavy focus on ethical hunting practices, we’ll help you develop confidence in making the perfect clean shot at ranges up to 800 yards.
- Additional information
Ready to start going after elk at 600-800 yards? Long-range Hunting provides an introduction to the fundamental skills needed to successfully take down game at long distances. This course walks you step-by-step through the skills and mechanics of long-range shooting, as well as the impacts that the environment can have on shooting accuracy. We focus on ethical hunting practices and teach the tools to help you know how and when to take a shot at an extend distance. This hands-on class will give you a solid foundation of core skills that you can continue to expand on. Come ready to push your limits and test your skills with plenty of range time and challenging shooting drills. Our team of experienced instructors will answer each question thoroughly and thoughtfully, ensuring that you walk away ready for your next hunt.
This course held over a consecutive 2-day period from 0800 to 1700 hours each day (e.g. full days, Saturday and Sunday). The course schedule has been set to partner with the local hunting season calendar, but if you are looking for off-season dates, let us know and we’ll see what we can work something out. If you are coming in from out of the area, see our FAQs page for more information on travel and lodging arrangements.
- A basic understanding of firearms safety.
What you’ll learn
- The principals of accuracy and fundamentals of marksmanship
- Rifle set-up and maintenance
- Understanding and applying ballistics
- Range estimation and field sketching
- Land navigation
- How to respond to environmental challenges
- Basic backcountry survival techniques
What you need to bring
- Rifle: High power bolt action rifle (6mm – 30 cal) or accurized semi-auto, sling and bipod. 5.56 SPR-style rifle is acceptable. Rental guns are available for an additional charge.
- Quality hunting scope. Bring your owner’s manual.
- Minimum 50 rounds of match-grade ammunition per day. (77 gr strongly recommended for 5.56 SPRs)
- Cleaning kit
- Rugged, comfortable clothing, suitable for all weather conditions. We will shoot in any and all weather.
- Small “go bag” or ruck sack that will be with you at all times. Your bag should have binoculars, water, snacks, elbow pads, knee pads, and ammo for the task.
- A shooting or exercise mat; anything that can be rolled up and moved with you.
- Ear & eye protection, sunscreen, and a brimmed hat (like a boonie).
- Lunch, snack food, and water.
- A small calculator.
- Note-taking material, including notepad, pencil, and Sharpie.
- Optional items: iPad or smartphone, belt magazine carriers; rifle cover (shemagh or towel); range finder; Camelback.
While the Long-range Hunting class is only moderately physically demanding, we do move around on rough terrain and haul our gear short distances. The most physically challenging aspects of the experience tend to come from the weather, so please be prepared for Colorado’s rapidly changing conditions.
Long-range Hunting Schedule
Course dates are established in response to demand and are often customized to meet the needs of particular hunters. If you are interested in taking this course, please give us a call so we can work with you to find a schedule that fits your needs. Note: Many Long-range Hunting classes are scheduled around popular Colorado big-game hunting seasons to facilitate your travel plans and ensure your skills are sharp.
December 20, 2020, January 20, 2020, November 20, 2020